Morning! I hope your Friday is looking up.
- Colbert employed the likes of John Lithgow to read Newt Gingrich’s epic tome of a press release
- Are you a middle school teacher in Tennessee trying to deal with that idiotic new law that bans you from even mentioning that homosexuality exists? Well Star Trek’s George Takei has offered to help by allowing anyone to simply say “Takei” in place of “gay” when referencing homosexuality. In other news, this Sunday is the Long Beach Takei Pride Parade, so make sure you get here early in order to secure a place on the parade route!
- Last week’s This American Life is up on the web. The segment on the uselessness of economic redevelopment agencies in the effort to create jobs is extremely interesting, especially given the current controversy over Jerry Brown’s decision to get rid of them in California.
- Paul Krugman actually has good news on American manufacturing. He points out that much of this success can be derived from Obama’s decision to personally save our auto industry from the supposedly “pro-business” vultures in the GOP.
- Slate details the depressing rise of tourist- centered prostitution as a way of life in Cambodia for women who are tired of the dead end world of “apparel” (i.e. sweatshop) jobs.
- Dahlia Lithwick writes about the hypocritical and non-sensical filibustering of Gordon Liu to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Just as a reminder, the Senate GOP is the minority party, yet due to their intransigence the American judicial system is unable to function due to the metastasizing vacancy problem.
- The NY Times reports that Donald Trump’s for profit “Trump University” is being investigated by the state attorney general for suceeding in being even more of a scam than your average for-profit school. But don’t worry, the school has a foolproof solution for their problems grounded in “finding a way to inject more of Mr. Trump into the program”. According to Mr. Trump, the school has specifically said that: “The one thing is that they really wanted me involved, instead of the teachers.” Good luck with that.
- A vicious tea cup poodle named “Shmoopy” managed to fend off a black bear from her back yard. Stephen Colbert is pleased.
- Wonkette dug up some “classic political cartoons” from the web archives on several major sites, including this gem from Slate:
- The money sucking vampire squid known as Goldman Sachs has been literally stealing the tips from beer servers at Yankee Stadium and Cowboy Stadium. In related news, Yankees Suck.